Initiated osteochondrosis of the cervical spine (SC) causes a mass of dangerous complications in the patient, the most serious of which are disability and persistent deterioration. Therefore, you should not ignore the emerging signs of the disease and immediately go to the doctor. Only timely treatment will help to avoid unpleasant consequences.<1_img_centerxx>
Cervical osteochondrosis is a very nasty disease that even the brain can suffer from.
Reasons for development
The pathology often appears in the elderly, but this does not mean that every elderly person will have cervical osteochondrosis. According to observations, the main causes of the disease are:
- sedentary lifestyle;
- poorly organized workplace;
- stress, nervous tension;
- autoimmune disorders, due to which muscular dystrophy occurs;
- congenital pathologies of the spine;
- frequent hypothermia.
The manifestation of this symptomatology in cervical osteochondrosis does not have a clear criterion, but by the nature of the condition, it is possible to determine the consequence of what disorder this symptom is. Dizziness is distinguished:
- Systemic. When it seems that surrounding objects are moving in a circle (symptom of osteochondrosis).
- Not systemic. The feeling of circular movement is absent, but symptoms of dizziness, darkening of the eyes, nausea (cardiovascular pathology) are expressed.
With the development of cervicothoracic osteochondrosis, dizziness is a consequence of:
- spasm of veins and arteries in the brain;
- clamping of the vessels of the cervical spine;
- vestibular apparatus dysfunction.
The symptom is more often seen in women with protruding c6-c7 discs. Pathology is pronounced or periodically bothers you. In this case, it will not be possible to correctly determine the cause of pain independently. Therefore, in order to exclude high blood pressure, angina, cardiovascular failure, stroke, it is important to undergo a diagnostic study and ask the doctor for the exact diagnosis.
Discomfort elsewhere in the body
Osteochondrosis of the cervical vertebrae manifests as pain in different places, while symptoms can be acute or moderate.
Disturbed by pain in the neck, shoulders and various parts of the upper limbs. Muscle spasms occur mainly in the morning and gradually disappear during physical activity. Typical sensations that manifest the disease:
- lumbago and dull ache in the neck;
- crackles and crackles when turning the neck;
- muscle weakness, numbness, goosebumps are particularly pronounced with the protrusion of the c4-c6 discs.
With osteochondrosis of the cervical spine with displacement of the patient, spikes in blood pressure are often disturbed, as the vertebrae of the neck enter many nerve fibers, arteries and blood vessels. Due to their compression, blood circulation is disturbed, which leads to an increase or decrease in pressure. Symptoms of the manifestation are as follows:
- a feeling of heaviness in the chest and the inability to breathe in completely;
- numbness in the neck;
- deterioration of health after stress, physical activity, prolonged stay in an uncomfortable position.
Degrees of development
Cervical osteochondrosis at this stage is manifested by the appearance of pathological changes in the intervertebral discs, which lose elasticity, strength, dry out and decrease in size. The fibrous ring is covered with cracks. With stage 1 cervical lesions, the condition is still satisfactory, as the symptoms are not particularly bothersome, but in the morning there is a painful pain in the neck.
If signs of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine were ignored at the initial stage and the patient refused to be treated, grade 2 SHOP occurs, in which there is a rapid progression of pathological symptoms. The intervertebral disc gradually collapses, there are small dislocations of the cervical vertebrae. The second period of the disease is characterized by the development of the "drooping head" syndrome, in which severe painful discomfort is disturbed and the patient has to keep the head in a fixed position, thereby helping to alleviate the state of health.
Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine in the last stage is manifested by pronounced symptoms. A protrusion of the disc or hernia develops, as a result of these disorders the patient's voice changes, where the Adam's apple is in men, a lump in the throat is felt, due to whichit is difficult for a person to swallow. Also, the pathology is characterized by:
- Severe headache;
- dizziness and nausea;
- lumbago in the cervical region;
- the development of a complication called cervical myelopathy.
At the final stage, the intervertebral discs are completely destroyed, and connective tissue is formed in their place.One person is observed:
- violations of the vestibular apparatus;
- migraines and dizziness;
- noise in the ears;
- visual impairment.
There are such symptom complexes:
- Cardiac. In manifestation, it is similar to the pathology of the cardiovascular system. The patient complains of the following signs:
- burning sensation in the chest;
- shortness of breath;
- deterioration of general health;
- angina pectoris.
- Vertebral. If you are concerned about the signs of such a syndrome, it means that the bone and cartilage tissue in the neck is affected. Pathological changes in the vertebrae and intervertebral discs are clearly visible on x-rays. The person is worried:
- neck mobility problems;
- discomfort when moving.
- Vertebral artery syndrome. In this case, the pathology affects the veins and arteries that pass into the cervical region and supply the brain with the necessary substances. Due to the compression of the vessels, insufficient blood supply to gray matter occurs. The patient is worried:
- severe migraines;
- partial loss of vision and hearing;
- jumps in blood pressure;
- deterioration of concentration.
- Root. As a result of such a violation, 1 in 8 pairs of spinal nerve roots are affected, while the body is mainly affected on one side. With this syndrome, severe pain is disturbed or paralysis develops when sensitivity is completely lost.
If you do not start treating cervical osteochondrosis in time, there is a risk of developing such complications:
- Constant IRR and water hammer;
- violations of the vestibular apparatus;
- pathology of the thyroid gland;
- hypertension or hypotension;
A neurologist, who should be visited first, will help diagnose osteochondrosis. In order to accurately establish the forms and stages of the disease, as well as to find out the reasons for the development, the patient is sent to the following diagnostic measures:
- CT and MRI.
To restore the affected areas and relieve the accompanying symptoms, a complex treatment of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine is prescribed. The patient will need to take special drugs, follow the doctor's recommendations and do physiotherapy exercises. But if such a scheme did not give results, then the pathology in this case is treated with the help of surgical intervention.
Medication for osteochondrosis of the cervical spine
If the diagnosis showed that the disease has not started, drug therapy is prescribed. The best drug is chosen by the doctor, depending on the individual characteristics of the patient's body. It will be possible to cure cervical osteochondrosis with the help of the drugs presented in the table:
Effective treatment of pathology for sure includes exercise therapy. Through a series of exercises, it will be possible to normalize the blood supply to cartilage and bone tissues, which will allow the restoration of damaged parts of the body. Follow these rules:
- perform exercises smoothly, without sudden movements;
- the duration of charging does not exceed 1. 5-2 minutes;
- the first courses must be supervised by a specialist.
Cervical osteochondrosis can be treated with the following procedures:
- magnetic therapy;
- laser therapy.
Massage and manual therapy
It is recommended to take a course of massage therapy at the stage when the disease has just appeared. But even in the treatment of advanced forms, this event brings relief to the patient. The massage is carried out in stages and includes:
- to stroke;
The procedure is performed by a specially trained therapist, otherwise the condition will worsen.
The following recipes are effective for cervical osteochondrosis:
- Cabbage. Apply a heated cabbage leaf to the affected area overnight. Wrap a sore spot with a wool scarf.
- Potato. Make porridge from raw potatoes, mix with honey, make compresses from the finished ointment.
- Salt and sand. Combine the components, warm, put in a bag and apply to the sore spot.
When to operate
If conservative and auxiliary therapy does not work, surgical treatment is prescribed. An operation is performed to remove bone formations and a herniated disc, and then an anterior cervical fusion is performed. During the recovery period, it is recommended to wear a shants collar. But surgery does not guarantee a complete cure for the disease.
Signs of cervical osteochondrosis are pronounced. Therefore, during the disease, worrying discomfort and deterioration in well-being will not go unnoticed. It is important not to miss the first symptoms of osteochondrosis, because in the advanced stage, drug treatment does not always help. To prevent pathologies, it is important to monitor your health, eat well, give up bad habits, drink 6-8 tablespoons per day. the water. At the first symptoms, do not self-medicate, but go to the doctor and treat the problem.